Thursday 7 February 2008

Sedna Webcast - Installation & Administration

Viewed the latest webcast for Sedna yesterday, and I have to admit thinks look like they are falling into place.

Installation seems just as easy as with 5.X, though the ease at which the deployment of portal pages is still a worry. I will wait until I use it in anger to pass a real judgement. I like the fact that they are using .NET 3.0, which for once is the latest and greatest.

I have one outstanding question, in that will a normal user require administrative access to their own machine to allow the installation / update of the Smart Client code? Will there be a silent install option for installation and update?

Administration seems more intuitive, all in one place, without the need for the administrator to have a licence. The PAC (Pivotal Administration Client) or eREM to his mates is another TLA I will have to learn to use instead of the previous one.

One thing that did impress me is that they have removed the licensing restrictions on customisation systems and increased the demo licensing to 50 users (+ 20 mobiles) which is great news for everybody, and will probably reduce the administration of licensing within Pivotal as well.

No comments: