Tuesday 29 April 2008

Cheat Sheet

Think I am moving forward with Sedna now, thanks to the Cheat Sheet, which I found invaluable when rebuilding my demo systems.

Cheat Sheet

This document is essential for all of us whilst we are still learning how to get the new version up and running.

I have finally taken the plunge and gone with a separate Sharepoint VMWare, which is also my domain controller, and this configuration works really well. You do need a sizable machine (I am running on a dual core Dell with 4Gb ram) but the domain controller / sharepoint server makes it more like real life.

I am a little concerned about the numerous versions that seem to be flowing out of R&D recently, the second one released end of last week, 25th, with versions release on 8th April and 17th March. I would prefer to see these as hot fixes, as I don't want to go through the pain of installation again, and want a stable base to start really selling this stuff.

3 comments:

Jaybee said...

Hi, I think that a good application base is better than a amount of HFs, so I prefer to wait deployment of SEDNA for a good release/documentation to start with rather than spending time to download HFs every weeks.

Anyway, the Cheat Sheet is pretty good, since i succeed in installing Sedna in one afternoon with it.

PivDev said...

Whilst I agree with the idea of the good application base, Jaybee, it would be good of Pivotal to say the original release was a Beta, second Beta 2 and finally a release candidate, before June GA. What is fustrating is that there is not a clear list of differences between the releases and the time it takes to re-deploy the new versions.

You must be quicker at clicking buttons than me, or my laptop is not upto the 2 vmware installation that it requires. I do hope that they release a vmware with it all on, for partners and customers, so that everyone can play.

Anonymous said...

I agree with pivdev, I come from active access 1 so i have some experience with installing Pivotal...the quicker you learn that it is not just an install and all goes smooth the better. There is no all in one good release...and yes the documentation doesnt substitue good experience